Professor Katherine Samaras (M.B.B.S., Ph.D., F.R.A.C.P.)
Katherine Samaras is a consultant physician and endocrinology with a mandate to improve physical and mental health and well-being through optimisation of nutritional therapy, physical activity and, where necessary, appropriate pharmacological therapy.
Professor Samaras participates in clinical care in endocrinology and metabolism, including diabetes, metabolism and obesity, thyroid conditions, polycystic ovary syndrome, thyroid conditions, thyroid cancer, osteoporosis and adrenal and pituitary conditions. She and her team of highly trained health professionals are dedicated to the best health outcomes of people with endocrine conditions.
Professor Samaras participates in clinical research in diabetes, obesity and their prevention and has published over 140 research papers, technical reviews and textbook chapters.
Professor Samaras actively participates in advocacy for better physical health for people with severe mental illness and intellectual disability, as a founding member of iPHyS and the HeAL Declaration. As part of these efforts, a number of internationally accepted resources have been created. She is the clinical face for NSW Health’s Make Healthy Normal campaign and edits the open access specialty obesity journal Frontiers in Endocrinology, Obesity.
Professor Samaras holds the following appointments:
- Consultant Physician, St Vincent’s Clinic, Darlinghurst
- Founder and Director, Australian Centre for Metabolic Health, Darlinghurst
- Senior Staff Specialist, Department of Endocrinology, St Vincent’s Hospital, Darlinghurst
- Laboratory Head, Clinical Obesity, Nutrition and Adipose Biology, Diabetes and Metabolism Division, Garvan Institute of Medical Research
- Specialty Chief Editor, Frontiers in Endocrinology, Obesity
- Clinical Spokesperson, Make Healthy Normal, NSW Health